A weekend of fun!!! Day 2: Saturday May 31

Another early morning today with breakfast at 6:30am and departure at 7am to go for our sojourn into Botswana for our boat cruise and safari! Oliver drove us about an hour to the Zambia-Botswana border and then handed us over to a small ferry that took us across the river to Botswana. The students were excited to get Botswana stamps in their passports at the border crossing!

Ferry to cross to Botswana

Ferry to cross to Botswana

There another jeep picked us up (10 of us were in one jeep and 4 in another) and drove us to a lodge. There we got on our boat with our captain Lebza. We departed for our 2 ½ hour cruise and started slow, spotting a small crocodile…

Baby croc!

a water monitor lizard…..

Aka iguana



and a water buck. But then things got exciting as we spotted elephants by the water’s edge

First view from afar

And then up close!!


and also 2 large pods of hippos – LOTS of them!!



We also saw an elephant in the water half way across the river!


Some of us spent some time on the top deck of the boat enjoying the sun and view!


Our boat returned to the lodge at 12:30 and we had a lovely buffet lunch there. Then on to the next phase: a safari in a jeep. Again we were 10 in our jeep and 4 in another. Before we even entered the Chobe National Park, we saw a large elephant by the road quite close to us! This was so unexpected that the students screamed and our guide David stopped the jeep for us to see the elephant but then also to remind us that in order not to scare animals and keep them happy, we needed to remain quiet and not scream!

We saw LOTS of elephants in the park – many extremely close-up!!! Will try to post a short video 🙂

And of course lots of impala – the McDonalds of the bush


We had a break to stop and stretch and have a drink before continuing on the safari


Then we started seeing giraffes! We saw several of them and also fish eagles (Zambia’s national bird).



The safari finished all too soon at 4pm after which we retraced our path: jeep to ferry, ferry back to Zambia and bus back to our lodge!

Pearson arrived promptly and we set off for the most recommended restaurant in Livingstone, an Italian restaurant called Olga’s Kitchen. We had to sit at 2 tables and our table of 7 got extremely slow service as our food took forever to arrive! But it was great conversation and we had a lot of laughs, which was fun!

Back to the lodge and tomorrow we drive back to Lusaka.






3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Div and Lew
    May 31, 2014 @ 17:30:26

    That water monitor looked scary! Looks like the group is having a wonderful time!


  2. lkrish64
    Jun 01, 2014 @ 15:15:46

    Awww – it was just like a giant lizard! Yes – fun weekend and back to work Mon-Friday before we depart on Saturday


  3. sibks
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 03:12:10

    Those are really fantastic photos!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: